22 August 2013

Happy Birthday, Mrs. Parker!


Happy Birthday to Dorothy Parker who was born on August 22, 1893 in Long Branch, New Jersey. Readers of this blog know that Mrs. Parker is a role model of mine (minus the drinking problem) whose work and wit I greatly admire. When I first began this blog, I wrote under the pseudonym "Mrs. Parker" in honour of the woman who continues to be an influence over here at Tales of a Madcap Heiress. To celebrate her day, why not have a cocktail in her honour (a whiskey sour or a Manhattan would be appropriate), listen to a little Jazz, and read a poem or two from The Portable Dorothy Parker. You could also listen to this recording of Tallulah Bankhead performing Mrs. Parker's "A Telephone Call" here. Go celebrate and remember what Mrs. Parker said, “I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...